Thursday, March 18, 2010

Uncanny Valley


Coming along..

I created some eyes using a pretty good tutorial found here:

The technique involves creating a modeled geometric iris inside of the eye and using transparent, blended textures with an alpha channel to gently reveal it.

The tutorial doesn't seem to use the same set of defaults for material settings that my Blender setup does, so getting it to work was way more trouble than I expected. I think results are pretty nice, however.


I haven't decided if I am going to use this to bake a low-poly version for use in a game or not. I'm just enjoying the modeling process and seeing where that takes me.

Still to do: Hair and eyebrows, a medal for his chest, more believable texture on his jacket and skin. Hopefully, I'll be on to rigging him up for animation in the next couple days.